Re: [MailServer Notification]To Recipient virus found and action taken.

From: alan (alanat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 08:33:16 PDT

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Russell Coker wrote:

    > On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 10:04, Antony Stone wrote:
    > > On Tuesday 01 July 2003 12:54 am, Russell Coker wrote:
    > > > Guys, what's going on here?
    > > >
    > > > Are these messages really originating with you as they claim or are they
    > > > getting @wirex.com tacked on the end of the address?
    > >
    > > The Sobig virus spoofs the sender address, so what you see is not where it
    > > appears to be from.
    >
    > Yes, we all know that.
    >
    > However those "notifications" about viruses are coming from mail.wirex.com.
    > Either a wirex server is running an anti-virus program and spamming their own
    > list, or their list server is obscuring the real origin of the messages.

    Actually that message did *not* come from Wirex.  Read the headers again.

            mail.wirex.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 783E62EFCD for
            <linux-security-moduleat_private>; Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:21:57 -0700
    (PDT)

    > In either case they have to fix it.

    We would if it was our problem.  That virus scanner for Exchange forges
    the from header.

    Someone at integra-pc.com and/or 209.92.185.230 needs to not bounce virus
    traffic into lists.

    Even more, someone else needs to update their anti-virus software.

    Of couse, it is not the dumbest thing I have seen a virus scan do as of
    late.  Some see PGP sigs as viruses.  One even claimed that an attached C
    program was a virus.