Re: How to get full pathname from an inode?

From: Jesse Pollard (jesse@cats-chateau.net)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 13:23:18 PDT

    On Thursday 24 July 2003 14:52, Omen Wild wrote:
    > Quoting Chris Wright <chrisat_private> on Thu, Jul 24 10:56:
    > > The short answer is, you can't.  There is nothing that guarantees a
    > > single canonical path to an inode.  Think hard links, multiple mount
    > > points, and bind mounts.
    >
    > Hmmm, maybe I'm approaching all of this from the wrong hook then.
    > Maybe file_permission is what I want.
    >
    > So, new questions.  If file_permission gets called for every read/write
    > call, is there an easy way to detect the very first call?
    >
    > If I tap file_permission will that cover all ways for a
    > file/program/library to get loaded or executed?
    >
    > I guess the hook I really want is a file_open hook, but that seems to
    > be inode_permission, which does not seem to be the hook I want.  Ack,
    > I'm confused.

    Why bother useing the filename anyway.. When you build the list, store
    the hash indexed by the device/inode (or have one file per mounted device).

    The inode becomes equivalent to the name, but with the added fact that it
    is unique. This also allows the user/administrator to rename the file without
    having to recompute the hash.