Re: How to get full pathname from an inode?

From: Omen Wild (Omen.Wildat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 13:28:24 PDT

    Quoting Jesse Pollard <jesse@cats-chateau.net> on Thu, Jul 24 15:23:

    > The inode becomes equivalent to the name, but with the added fact that it
    > is unique. This also allows the user/administrator to rename the file without
    > having to recompute the hash.

    I believe that could be a security hole.  If my module is protecting
    /bin/ls and someone deletes it and copies in a Trojaned version (which
    has a new inode #) then that fact would never be caught.

    Someone pointed me at the inode_unlink and inode_post_rename hooks that
    may allow me to work around that problem, but I have not thought about
    that approach enough to be sure it will work.

    --
    Due to a shortage of devoted followers, the
    production of great leaders has been discontinued.