Re: sys_security() status ?

From: Stephen Smalley (sdsat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 12:03:51 PDT

    On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 07:18, Russell Coker wrote:
    > At the following URL for downloading SE Linux there is an option "Download new
    > 2.4-based SELinux" which includes a LSM kernel patch without sys_security
    > (among many other things).
    > http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/download.html
    >
    > This release from the NSA happened a week ago and was the first release of the
    > new LSM for 2.4.x kernels.  So it is quite new in the 2.4.x tree.  In 2.5.x
    > and 2.6.0test it's been there for a while, but it's been in a state of rapid
    > development (which probably explains the lack of documentation you refer to).

    James Carter back ported the new SELinux module, API, and xattr support
    from the 2.6-based SELinux to the 2.4-based SELinux, which is what is
    available from http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/download3.html.  He actually
    hasn't removed the sys_security system call from our tree or patch yet,
    although SELinux no longer relies on it.  The goal would be to feed the
    necessary supporting changes for the new API back to the lsm-2.4
    BitKeeper tree, then transfer the new 2.4-based SELinux to it and drop
    sys_security from it.  The older 2.4-based SELinux is no longer being
    actively maintained.

    --
    Stephen Smalley <sdsat_private>
    National Security Agency