Re: Request: Limit LSM postings to subscribers!

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 19:52:42 PDT

    On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 06:50:43PM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > Greg KH wrote:
    > >>LSM had a perfect signal:noise ratio when we used a closed list, but
    > >>LKML politik forced the imperfect approach of "open/filter" on us :-/
    > >>We're doing the best we can to filter, but this has been a very bad month.
    > >>

    > >Oh, come on, tell us how you really feel about kernel developers...
    > >
    > I feel fine about kernel developers, but I have always been mystified by
    > the level of anger that a "closed" list (one where non-subscribers posts
    > get trapped for human moderation) generates. Yes, I'm aware that at
    > least one list maintainer abused the human moderation to filter posts he
    > didn't like. But I would ascribe that kind of anti-social behavior to
    > the individual and not generalize it to "closed lists are *bad*."
    >
    > So what is it that PO's so many kernel developers about closed lists?
    > The above pathology, or something else?

    Something else.  It's been explained before.  And if you've ever gotten
    messages from a list that was added to the CC: line of an email thread
    that started bouncing back to you, "Your post to a moderated list..."
    you would know why too.

    Also there's the speed issue too.  There's no way a moderated list can
    ever approach the turn around time of a moderated one for 24 hours of
    the day.

    > >I have a set of mailman filters that I have offered to your admins many
    > >times in the past that filter out html messages, and a lot of other crap
    > >that obviously does not belong on the list.
    > >
    > That sounds like a good idea. Send me a pointer and I'll put them in myself.

    As Chris already said you are filtering out html, it's probably not
    needed anymore.

    greg k-h