Re: Request: Limit LSM postings to subscribers!

From: Greg KH (gregat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 17:09:29 PDT

    On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 04:44:24PM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > Greg KH wrote:
    > >On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 01:50:10PM -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
    > >>It may just be a
    > >>perception, but it seems like I get far more spam from lsm than lkml or
    > >>other public lists to which I subscribe.  Perhaps that is just because
    > >>there is sufficient legitimate volume on those lists to make the
    > >>signal-to-noise ratio acceptable.
    > >>

    > >I think lkml has better filters and some more active list admins :)
    > >
    > LSM had a perfect signal:noise ratio when we used a closed list, but
    > LKML politik forced the imperfect approach of "open/filter" on us :-/
    > We're doing the best we can to filter, but this has been a very bad month.

    Oh, come on, tell us how you really feel about kernel developers...

    You don't see me, or any other kernel person complaining about the spam
    here (well, I did ask Chris in person why you all aren't just filtering
    out HTML email, as that's real simple to do, but that was just a
    suggestion.)

    > >>One might argue that aside from major new directions for LSM, any
    > >>LSM-related discussions should just occur directly on lkml anyway.
    > >>

    > >I agree.
    > >
    > Don't most other major subsystems have a mailing list, and it's actually
    > the minor discussion that happens on the sub-list and the major stuff
    > that gets cc'd to LKML?

    Yes, but there is also usb help and discussion on lkml a lot.

    We are on a down cycle with regards to lsm development, so there isn't
    much traffic on this list.  Will it ever pick up again, who knows...

    > What do e.g. linux-usb and linux-hotplug-devel do about spam?

    I have a set of mailman filters that I have offered to your admins many
    times in the past that filter out html messages, and a lot of other crap
    that obviously does not belong on the list.

    That being said, they aren't working so good recently due to the major
    increase in the SoBig traffic (basically it's the bounces and virus
    scanner notices that make it through.)  Also sf.net has added some spam
    filtering that seems to be working out pretty well.  You might as them
    what they do, as those lists are hosted there.

    Good luck,

    greg k-h