Re: Request: Limit LSM postings to subscribers!

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 18:50:43 PDT

    Greg KH wrote:

    >>LSM had a perfect signal:noise ratio when we used a closed list, but
    >>LKML politik forced the imperfect approach of "open/filter" on us :-/
    >>We're doing the best we can to filter, but this has been a very bad month.
    >>

    >Oh, come on, tell us how you really feel about kernel developers...

    I feel fine about kernel developers, but I have always been mystified by
    the level of anger that a "closed" list (one where non-subscribers posts
    get trapped for human moderation) generates. Yes, I'm aware that at
    least one list maintainer abused the human moderation to filter posts he
    didn't like. But I would ascribe that kind of anti-social behavior to
    the individual and not generalize it to "closed lists are *bad*."

    So what is it that PO's so many kernel developers about closed lists?
    The above pathology, or something else?

    >You don't see me, or any other kernel person complaining about the spam
    >here (well, I did ask Chris in person why you all aren't just filtering
    >out HTML email, as that's real simple to do, but that was just a
    >suggestion.)

    We're using Spamassassin. We don't want to be spamassassin developers.
    Perhaps there should be a "mailing list" flavor of spamassassin rules,
    that waaay ramps up the penalties for various forms of list-hostile
    syntax, such as HTML.

    OTOH, I'm not so sure that would help. Looking at recent archives
    <http://mail.wirex.com/pipermail/linux-security-module/2003-September/index.html>
    I see:

        * A metric butt-load of Sobig.F
          <http://mail.wirex.com/pipermail/linux-security-module/2003-September/4764.html>
          and associated bounces
          <http://mail.wirex.com/pipermail/linux-security-module/2003-September/4794.html>.,
          which have now been blocked. Good thing too, as the Sobig traffic
          went *up* a lot after we put in the block. An amazing number of
          Windows users apparently care about LSM enough to have it
          bookmarked somewhere.
        * Normal traffic.
        * Complaints & discussion about virus traffic.
        * Some actual spam:
              o plain text
                <http://mail.wirex.com/pipermail/linux-security-module/2003-September/4805.html>
              o plain text
                <http://mail.wirex.com/pipermail/linux-security-module/2003-September/4779.html>
              o plain text
                <http://mail.wirex.com/pipermail/linux-security-module/2003-September/4808.html>
                ... can't find any HTML spam. Probably because of the HTML
                filter Chris mentioned.

    >>What do e.g. linux-usb and linux-hotplug-devel do about spam?
    >>

    >I have a set of mailman filters that I have offered to your admins many
    >times in the past that filter out html messages, and a lot of other crap
    >that obviously does not belong on the list.

    That sounds like a good idea. Send me a pointer and I'll put them in myself.

    Thanks,

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com
                http://www.immunix.com/shop/