Re: lsm stacker

From: Casey Schaufler (casey@schaufler-ca.com)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 13:56:55 PDT

--- Stephen Smalley <sds@private> wrote:

> Can you point to a specific response that said that?

Sorry, I'm not going to play that game.

>  I don't recall
> seeing a LSM rejected by mainline for that reason.
> I have seen
> rejections due to:
> - LSMs that were ad-hoc hacks rather than general
> mechanisms,

One man's "ad-hoc hack" is another
man's "clever solution".

... and, because we have a general mechanism
in SELinux, there's no need to try to
justify it as such, because we don't need
another general mechanism.

> - Modules that weren't within the scope of LSM at
> all, but were just
> trying to use its hooks because the syscall table is
> no longer exported,
> - LSMs that lacked any real users.

You're putting a chicken/egg limit
in with that one.

> This seems to miss the point that SELinux is already
> upstream, open
> source, and community-based.  So SELinux is quite
> capable of changing
> (and being changed) in response to evolving
> requirements, without any
> encumbrances.

Sure, and MULTICS was capable of evolution,
and Trusted Solaris is still hanging around.
It does not matter that it is upstream,
open source, and community based. These
are all good things. What matters is that
some day it will fall from favor. The world
will not end. If Linux is too tightly tied to
SELinux and domain controls then Linux
will suffer when the Next Big Thing in
Security comes along that will be bad
for Linux. A robust and widely used