Re: fact, fiction, nonetheless...

From: Derek Benson (derekat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 22:59:07 PDT

    In dealings I have had with the Australian federal police, the 'authorities'
    only wanted me to provide physical copies of logfiles that they could then
    use to corroberate their other evidence from phone records etc.

    derek

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Don  Tansey wrote:

    > Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 00:54:45 -0400
    > From: Don  Tansey <hyghlanderat_private>
    > To: loganalysisat_private
    > Subject: Re: fact, fiction, nonetheless...
    >
    > <snip>> So: if I had a logging server that centralized the logs, in the
    > event of
    > > intrusion, the authorities would just confiscate IT... right?</snip>
    >

    > While I have heard tales of confiscating the perpetrator's machines
    > I have never heard of the _victims_ machines being lifted.
    >
    > Perhaps some of the "authorities" on the list would care to comment?
    >
    > Cheers,

    > For additional commands, e-mail: loganalysis-helpat_private

    Derek Benson                     |
    Infrastructure Management        | Tel: +61 7 336 53690
    Information Technology Services  | Email: d.bensonat_private
    The University of Queensland     | http://www.its.uq.edu.au