Re: fact, fiction, nonetheless...

From: W. Reilly Cooley, Esq. (wcooleyat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 23:45:30 PDT

    Thus spake Don  Tansey:
    > <snip>> So: if I had a logging server that centralized the logs, in the
    > event of
    > > intrusion, the authorities would just confiscate IT... right?</snip>
    >

    > While I have heard tales of confiscating the perpetrator's machines
    > I have never heard of the _victims_ machines being lifted.
    >
    > Perhaps some of the "authorities" on the list would care to comment?

    My friend had a machine that was broken into and used to attack some
    .mil sites.  I believe he was in fact required to send the machine
    (or at least the hard drive) to g-men.

    Wil
    --
    W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooleyat_private
    LNXS: Get 0.2.0-devel at http://sourceforge.net/projects/lnxs/

    Mencken and Nathan's Sixteenth Law of The Average American:
    	Milking a cow is an operation demanding a special talent that
    	is possessed only by yokels, and no person born in a large city can
    	never hope to acquire it.