RE: fact, fiction, nonetheless...

From: MATIat_private
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 05:04:06 PDT

    > In dealings I have had with the Australian federal police,
    > the 'authorities'
    > only wanted me to provide physical copies of logfiles that
    > they could then
    > use to corroberate their other evidence from phone records etc.

    In Denmark the special department that handles IT-related crimes only need
    excerpts from the logfiles to build the case, but when presented to the
    courts they need a copy of the original, correctly-timestamped logfiles in
    their intirety, even if this exceeds several GBytes of data.

    But only ISPs are required to log the events of their users. Commercial
    businesses can do what they please and aren't required to deliver logfiles,
    but every IT-security department that wants to have good connections to the
    special IT department, do whatever they can to help.

    Matias