known loganalysis utilities (Was: Re: greetingz)

From: Michael Radziej (mirat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 13:09:50 PDT

    On Fri, Aug 10, Tina Bird wrote:

    > Would I be correct in assuming, oh list members, that it
    > would be good to have a Web page that included info on
    > syslog processing apps (like swatch, logcheck, logsurfer)
    > and integration tools for systems without native syslog?

    I'd appreciate it for sure!

    I'm a little bit familiar with swatch and logsurfer, and
    found both of them not powerful enough for me. I particularily
    missed:

    - smart handling of "message storms" when a message
      appears thousands of times
    - a way to use the facility/priority information from syslog
      (which could help with unconfigured messages
    - better reports or some way to extend the reports mechanism

    After that, I started hacking on my own thing. But before
    I expose myself and make fun of me, I'd really like to know
    if anything exists addressing these issues.

    Cheers,

    Michael