Re: [loganalysis] Logging standards and such

From: Chaos Golubitsky (chaosat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 12:52:54 PDT

    On Thu, 16 Aug, 2001 at 11:53:22 -0700, dtmat_private wrote:

    > FreeBSD has a syslogd(8) option that I find useful:
    >
    >      -v      Verbose logging.  If specified once, the numeric facility and
    >              priority are logged with each locally-written message.  If speci-
    >              fied more than once, the names of the facility and priority are
    >              logged with each locally-written message

    solaris 8 syslogd defaults to a similar behaviour: it gives each
    msgid is (afaik) a hash of the message logged, generated by the
    msgid command.  so, for instance, the following log entry:

      Aug 16 13:05:17 my_client automountd[193]: [ID 784820 daemon.error] server my_server not responding

    corresponds to the second line of:

      % strings `which automountd` | grep responding | msgid
      190415 servers %s not responding: %s
      784820 server %s not responding
      494081 server not responding
      543504 %s server not responding%s
      543504 %s server not responding%s
      125655 get_pathconf: %s: server not responding: %s

    i can see how this could be useful for identifying messages quickly,
    though i don't use it myself.

    -chaos