Re: [loganalysis] Syslog enabled devices

From: lbuchanaat_private
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 11:51:53 PDT

    Hi,

    Many models of HP printers use syslog to report out of paper and other
    events.  It can be set using the control panel.  I am sure that there a lot
    more out there.  What is not widely known is how to configure them.

    Writing the client side of syslog is pretty trivial.  For an embedded
    device such as a printer, elevator controlers, key card entry system, etc.
    all you need is an assembly language routine to fill in the buffer on
    Ethernet interface with the contents of a UDP packet with the destination
    port being the syslog port, and then signal the Ethernet device to send the
    buffer.  Likewise, it is very easy to add the ability to a program to
    directly send syslog packets.  Using the O'Reilly book "Perl Cookbook" I
    wrote a Perl syslog client in one afternoon.  So this brings me to the
    question, what syslog enabled applications are there?  These would
    applications that not only would log to the local host, but could also be
    configured to directly send syslog packets to directly to an external
    syslog server.

    B Cing U

    Buck