Re: [logs] Log rotation tools

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 06:55:49 PDT

    Andrew Stribblehill wrote:
    >Both methods are acceptable (though I found a box where /dev/null had
    >its permission set randomly to 000 and the logfiles overflowed
    >because of just this).

    Which raises another issue: emptying /dev/null periodically.  I know a lot
    of low-end system users empty out /dev/null by resetting the machine or
    rebooting it periodically. Since we've got production servers, we can't afford
    to take them down just to clear out /dev/null, so we actually had to spring
    for one of the Yoyodyne SCSI null devices. That was OK except that we
    sometimes find that it gets backed up under big logging loads and we've
    had to write scripts to push the overflow from the SCSI null device into the
    system's software /dev/null.  Has anyone on the list successfully experimented
    with striping their null devices for better thruput?

    ;)
    mjr.
    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum          Chief Technology Officer, NFR Security, Inc.
    Work:                           http://www.nfr.com
    Personal:                      http://www.ranum.com