Re: [logs] Log rotation tools

From: Russell Fulton (r.fultonat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 19:02:24 PDT

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:01:54 -0400 (EDT) Jose Nazario
    <joseat_private> wrote:

    > i still vote for logrotate.

    We use a homebrew script that moves all files in /var/log to
    /var/log/OLD/<date>/, HUPs syslog and then compresses the files.

    Theses files are then auomatically picked up by the backup (TSM) where
    they are kept for a year.  We normally keep at least a week on disk (on
    some systems I keep a set proportion of the /var partion free).

    The problem with systems like logrotate is that they reuse file names
    which breaks archiving.

    What do others do about archiving logs?