Re: [logs] log review policies

From: Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandtat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 23:33:26 PDT

    Am 17.10.2001 um 14:53:56 -0600 schrieb William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) folgendes:

    > Sendmail hasn't been a scary beast in many years.  Yes, sendmail has a

    Sendmail had many remote exploits in the past years.

    > is all in the past.  The new sendmail is maintained by competent
    > programmers who are trying to provide a first class MTA/MSA.

    Who managed to build-in some more exploits (local ones, though).

    > hasn't been a scary beast in many years, but the way people install it
    > still is.

    Definitely. Example: HP's installation has still 8.9.3

    > putting "/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m" onto every machine, just put
    > "/usr/lib/sendmail -q15m".  The server will run to process the queue,

    Correct.

    > The new sendmail does not need to be suid root anymore.  It can be an
    > unpriviledged program and still work properly.

    A concept cleverly copied from Postfix BTW.

    --
    Ralf Hildebrandt                            Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155
                                                Fax.  +49 (0)30-450 570-916