Re[2]: [logs] Due Diligence for Admission in Court

From: Chris M. Lonvick (clonvickat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 12:22:32 PST

    Hi Richard and All,

    At 11:48 AM 12/7/2001 -0500, Richard Welty wrote:
    >On 07 Dec 2001 10:16:36 +0000 Dan Rowles <daniel.rowlesat_private> wrote:
    >
    >if i were trying to guard server logs, and were limited to the current
    >syslog as described in the informational RFC, i'd probably tunnel the
    >syslog text, either using ssh as described by another writer, or using an
    >IPSec applicance in front of a group of servers. i'd then configure things
    >on the receiving end of the syslog stream to only accept messages that come
    >from the tunnel.

    I believe that Dan was specifically asking about the integrity
    of the messages on a single machine.  It appeared that he was
    looking to find some way to provide assurance that the generating
    daemon did in fact generate the message and it was stored on the
    disk (on the same system) just in that way.

    What you are describing is what we're currently working on in
    the IETF Working Group.  The Internet Draft is
      draft-ietf-syslog-sign-03.txt
    and may be found here:
      http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-sign-03.txt
    John Kelsey and Jon Callas will get a new draft out sometime after
    the IETF meeting next week in Salt Lake City.  If you use that
    in combination with the reliable transport of syslog messages as
    described in RFC 3195, you should (we hope) get all of the qualities
    that you are describing.  The Working Group would welcome your
    review of the ID.

    Thanks,
    Chris