RE: [logs] log analysis of netfilter entries?

From: Steve Wray (steve.wrayat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 15:50:07 PST

    > From: Chris Brenton [mailto:cbrentonat_private]
    >
    > On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Jason Haar wrote:
    > >
    > > Sounds like you need logsnorter. Dumps some Firewall syslog entries into
    > > snort's backend SQL databases...
    >
    > Another possible is something as simple as scripting some grep
    > passes. Using Netfilter's --log-prefix switch allows you to ID log entries

    This sounded fantastic until I tried it.
    You know what? Its in the man page, but when I try to use
    it I get;
    iptables v1.2.2: Unknown arg `--log-prefix`

    Its in the &$@! man page!!! Its there in black and white!
    But it ain't in the program!

    Any ideas?

    > any way you want. This can provide a great level of detail. For example I
    > prefix banned IP's as "BADGUY", Null scans as "NULLSCAN", SSH scans as
    > "SSH_SCAN",  etc. etc. etc. In fact, Bill Stearns is working on a module
    > that will tag log entries with the sender's OS (based on p0f).
    >
    > Netfilter's logging is pretty advanced. You really have to stop and think
    > to realize the full possibilities.

    and, apparently wait for it to find its way from the docco to the
    implementation...
    :(