Re: [logs] Thoughts needed

From: Cowboy Man (cowboymat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 12:49:31 PST

    Hi Steve,

    To answer you in short:

    First, don't answer him in regards to his threat - this will just signify
    to him that he's gotten under your skin, and he'll run with it.  Just
    take good notes.

    1.  To do anything legally, you're going to have to prove where the attack
        came from.  If you have a decent working relationship with your local,
        state, or federal law enforcement agency and they actually have a
        clue (I'm lucky - the Anchorage Police Dept has a high-tech crimes
        unit with some of the brightest computer-cops in the country) give
        them a call and let them know what's up.  Documenting the threat is a
        decent start.  If these conditions don't exist, then don't count on
        much from LE - but it still won't hurt to try.  You'll have to
        explain stuff to them in plain english, and it'll take a while.

        Make sure you have good ocntacts for your upstream providers, so that
        if you get whacked, you can call them offline and have them block the
        offending traffic, or even hunt it down.

        Be sure you can documentand articulate actual damages.

        Give your corp. lawyers a heads-up on what might happen, and then keep
        them and mgmt. in the loop once it goes down.

    2.  Yes, you can go kick his ass, but it won't fix anything, and you'll
        likely end up in jail, and a civil suit thereafter.  Even though
        you'd feel better about things immediately, it's probably not a good
        long-term solution.  (I've been there too, and it sucks not being able
        to perform some involuntary dental work on pinheads like this.  In my
        case though, the jackass had an expired visa, and was wanted by
        Australian authorities on some crime, so my buddy the cop called his
        buddy the INS agent, who deported the badgu.  The Australians also
        got an anoymous tip that the badguy was coming back, so they could
        throw him a welcome-back party at the airport.)

        Helps to know the cops.  Oh, and depending on what your company does,
        the feds may actually care if you get attacked since everyone is so
        ultra-sensitive now to attacks on our infrastructure.

    Just my 0.02 worth.  Advice is free, so it's probably worth about that
    much as well, but I do hope this helps.

    Mike Messick
    Information Security Architect
    Phillips Alaska, Inc.