[logs] Log Analysis

From: jamie rishaw (jamieat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 08:14:15 PST

     Hey everyone,

      I'd like to get some input from people who are currently running a
    centralized logging environment with multiple (and theoretically multi-
    platform) OS's logging to one (or multiple) syslog hosts.

      Getting logging down, and getting hosts to log to a central server was
    the easy part.  It's pretty nifty, one place to go, and no more /var
    fill ups :-)   however, it's now time to go to the next step.

      What (presumedly freeware/opensource/open-dev) programs, home brew
    perl madness, commercialware, etc, are people using for their log analysis?

      I think there will be two schools of solutions here, correct me if I'm
    missing or off topic:

      1) Real-Time monitors to "tail" output and generate alerts/flags based
         on certain situations or checkpoints/markers, and

      2) Daily log parsing for reports, trend analysis, and longer term
         watching

      Program names are fine to spew back, but input on actual use of these
    utilities, thoughts, etc, would help.

      And if it turns up zero, perhaps we can start a project of our own :)

      Thanks in advance for input.  I'm hoping I'm not the only one out here
    in the same boat.

    jamie
    --
    jamie rishaw <jamieat_private>
    sr. wan/unix engineer/ninja // playboy enterprises inc.

    "UNIX was not designed to stop people from doing stupid things, because
     that would also stop them from doing clever things." -- Doug Gwyn