Re: [logs] Apache Logs

From: rich (rbfat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 11:39:00 PST

     > As far as the access logs go, if you're running a busy webserver, then
     > the access logs can get pretty big. What benefit does everyone perceive
     > from piping the access logs out to syslog?

    Remarkably little. If there is something that you really need syslogged,
    you can tail the access log | grep interesting | logger. As you say,
    there's way too much in a busy server's access log. Another reason not
    to do this is the access logs will be intertwingled with system
    messages, confusing httpd log analyzers.

    I think Roy was asking would the access logs still be sent to the apache
    log area if you redirect them to syslogd, which I suspect is not the
    case unless you tee them there.

    -- Rich Fuchs rbfat_private (*nix systems programmer, Research Libraries Group)