Re: [logs] Apache Logs

From: Bill Burge (billat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 10:08:43 PST

    Since the call to logger sends it to the local syslog daemon, it is by default logged to the local host.  Your configuration of syslog will keep it local, send it elsewhere or both.

    I "send it elsewhere".  As someone pointed out, a busy web server will make big logs fast.

    An added advantage of using syslog is that you can rotate logs without restarting the Apache processes.

    Another advantage is that I have multiple, load balanced, servers all sending to the same syslog server.  This allows me a single log to process instead of multiple logs.  The next issue would be running stat reports on "the site" from multiple files that would need to be merged or processed individually and the results combined (the latter seems to be beyond my company's choice of analysis products).

    Bill Burge