Re: [logs] Apache Logs

From: Scott Nelson (scottat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 20:51:39 PST

    At 3:54 PM -0500 1/29/02, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
    >  >As you say,
    >>there's way too much in a busy server's access log.
    >
    >I'm kind of curious about this: does anyone have any numbers they'd
    >care to share about logging rates and server log rates? How many
    >entries/second does a busy server's access log collect?

    Our mail servers are busiest...they can generate up to 50MB.  Looks
    like they are currently logging somewhere between 350-450k entries
    per 30 minutes.  These are qmail logs so there are several entries
    for each transaction.  Currently I would guess these boxes are
    logging over 4-5 million log entries per day - as average delivery
    rate is at about 1.4 million per box.

    >I assume
    >they are stdio buffered so they come in approximately BUFSIZ chunks,
    >so it's probably pretty efficient, no? Does anyone have any numbers
    >for when syslogd begins to puke? Since it's using unix domain UDP
    >(in general) my guess is that the failure mode would be UDP packets
    >getting dropped on the output queue: which is system dependent. BSD
    >systems will do it differently from STREAMs systems which will
    >do it differently from Linux systems, etc, etc.
    >
    >I guess I've heard a lot of people talk about syslog bogging down under
    >load but I've never seen any measures behind the claim; can anyone
    >provide some hard information? I don't feel like writing a syslogd torture
    >test - has anyone? Are we operating on hearsay?

    On a typical mail server here syslogd is always in the top 5 for cpu
    usage - out of 800 processes or more usually.  I haven't seen it
    start dropping large amounts of data - but then again I'm not looking
    that closely right now.

    thx
    scott