Re: [logs] Apache Logs

From: Scott Nelson (scottat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 20:41:13 PST

    We do quite a large set of mail logs mostly but also apache logs and
    other various application logs.  We have a perl script that rotates
    out the apache logs (without restart) and then drops them onto an NFS
    share (NetApp).  This share is mounted on our log crunching boxes
    which spit out our daily reports.  We've got 100+ machines
    transferring logs this way.  Our main issue currently is that we
    can't store logs for more than 3 days - as 3 days logs eats up at
    least 150GB+.  For example we generate probably about 2GB/hour of
    mail logs (qmail is quite verbose, plus our own additions).  So you
    might consider a solution similar to this.  If you needed more
    bandwidth you could even setup a private network just for the NFS
    traffic.  This solution is nice since we can add various log
    crunching boxes at will and haven't noticed any performance problems
    with the NetApp.

    We're currently checking out a product by a startup - Addamark -
    www.addamark.com - which is a distributed log management system.
    We're testing a 3 node system and so far have been impressed with the
    feature set and folks who work there.  They are just about to release
    version 1.0 I believe.  In some of our logs we're seeing up to
    50-to-1 compression when imported into their system.  So we're
    hopeful we'll be able to start storing a few months of logs...
    Anyone else here looked at the product?  If you're dealing with large
    sets of logs you should give them a look see.   Great bunch of people
    working there - just down the street from my office in SF.

    thx,
    Scott