RE: [logs] NT Logs

From: Richardson, Stephan (smrat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 11:59:48 PST

    Gonzalo,
        A nice tool that I have found is called EventCl,  by Gareth Isaac,  here
    http://www.mobiusware.com/freeware <http://www.mobiusware.com/freeware> .
    This will allow you to consolidate your NT server logs, System, Application,
    and Security to one system.  The logs for each system will be there after
    you dump them, which can be done from a batch file, automated, etc.  You
    will have to 'consolidate' them together yourself.   I am sure that is
    something you can do with Perl fairly easily or at least with some basic NT
    shell commands.  DumpEl for the NT Resource Kit will do the same, but
    EventCl allows for log renaming, autosave to other system, etc that I find
    works nicely.

        Regarding the EventID descriptions, those come from the Performance
    Monitor Libraries, (PerfLib) for the particular application/system in
    question.  For instance, if you want to view MS Exchange Performance
    counters, you need to have Exchange loaded (at least the Administrator
    program) on the PC in question.  Or you could try to 'hack' the performance
    libraries onto the log station using the lodctr util mentioned here.  Where
    you can locate the other perflibs for other things like SQL, etcetera, is
    something I do not know.
        I tried this once in the lab, with 'some' success.  YMMV

    XADM: Restoring Lost Performance Counters for Exchange (Q156494)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q156494
    <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q156494>

    Steve

    Verbose mode for Nate's signature.

    This system has detected ambulatory rodentia, the operating system must be
    reinitialized for full functionality.  System restarting....
    (Since when did Windoze/InternetExploder/LookOut actually ask for permission
    to restart?)