Re: [logs] hack attempts && price

From: Sweth Chandramouli (loganalysisat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 10:27:32 PST

    On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 10:49:42AM +0100, Lubomir.Nistor@star-21.de wrote:
    > sweth:please read any security risk assessment guide.. there you'll
    > get this formula well explained..
    	Those types of formulas, yes, and as I said before I'm
    already very familiar with them.  I was wondering about the specific
    formula you were using, since it had enough numbers filled in to make
    it seem as though you were trying to present an example, but was missing
    enough information to make it make no sense as it stood.  Specifically:

    > identify risk (fx. e-commerce site that brings $10M yearly=>1 day
    > +downtime=$300K=>1 hour downtime=$10K)
    > cover risk by realtime log auditing.. (costs fx $7K daily)
    >
    > profit=> risk value*risk probability - countermeasure=$40K monthly
    	How do you come up with $40K?  What is the risk probability
    you are using?  Are you counting the log auditing as the countermeasure?
    If so, does the cost listed include amortized costs for the efforts of
    the people involved, too?  Those are the sorts of details that would
    make something like this useful to most of the people on the list, I
    suspect.

    	-- Sweth, catching up on old list mail.

    --
    Sweth Chandramouli ; <svcat_private>
    President, Idiopathic Systems Consulting