[logs] Queuing of remote logging

From: Sweth Chandramouli (loganalysisat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 23:03:25 PST

    	Has anyone (commercial or otherwise) addressed the issue
    of how to have a host log to a central logging server when the host in
    question can't always see the loghost?  In particular, I'm thinking of
    laptop situations, although I can see other times when this would be an
    issue.  Take, for example, an office with an internal RFC 1918-numbered
    network; employees who are in the office should have their laptops
    logging to the central server, but if they, say, take the laptop home,
    the laptop shouldn't attempt to log to that 10.x.x.x loghost across the
    internet if the employee dials in to their personal ISP, nor should it
    throw away log messages by attempting to log them across the network
    when the laptop isn't plugged in to any network at all.
    	I can see a lot of ways to set things like this up, and
    was about to start hacking together a prototype in Perl, but I figured
    I ought to see if anyone else has started any work in this area before I
    go reinvent the wheel.

    	-- Sweth.

    --
    Sweth Chandramouli      Idiopathic Systems Consulting
    svcat_private      http://www.idiopathic.net/