RE: [logs] Windows logrotation tool?

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 08:09:38 PDT

    There are plenty of freeware options available for
    rotating EventLogs.  The NTSyslog/Kiwi Syslog server
    is a good one that I've been testing out.

    Another is Perl.  Using ActiveState's ActivePerl, I've
    written scripts for retrieving EventLog entries.  Go
    to:

    http://patriot.net/~carvdawg/perl.html

    and check out dumpevt.pl.  This script uses
    Win32::Lanman and Win32::Perms to retrieve the
    EventLog entries, as well as the audit policy, in .csv
    format.  I've also written other scripts in the past
    that will comb an infrastructure for EventLog entries
    on all of the servers, write those entries to a
    spreadsheet (using Spreadsheet::WriteExcel, which
    produces a binary file compatible w/ Excel), w/ a
    separate worksheet for each type of log.

    Also on the web page above is a script called
    WmiEvt.pl, which implements WMI in Perl to watch for
    new events to be generated.  This is a suitable
    skeleton for a full-blown syslog client (add
    Win32::Daemon to make it a service, and Net::Syslog to
    generate the events to syslog), in that it uses no
    polling whatsoever.