Re: [logs] Centralizing Audit Logging and Reporting

From: Tycho Fruru (tycho.fruruat_private)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 08:24:58 PDT

    On Sat, 4 May 2002, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

    > Jhumri Tilayia wrote:
    > >Marcus J Ranum was working on a syslog parser thingie. He wanted to release the source code after the Orlando SANS conference. You may want to check with him since it will be an integral part of the system you are trying to build.
    >
    > Yep. Fargo. Unfortunately, Fargo is dead in the water, about 95% completed.
    > I won't be able to release it, or the HotZone honeypot; the intellectual property
    > is owned by NFR Security and it's not going to belong to me.

    Two solutions :

    1. NFR play nice and grant you the possibility of licensing the thing
    under a free license which will nonetheless avoid dilution of their "IP".
    such a license would be eg. GNU GPL. This is by far the most recommended
    solution.

    2. you know.

    (America, Land of the Free(TM)(R)(C) ? As long as you do what you're told
    to >:-| )

    > I am planning on beginning another log parsing project, using a slightly different
    > approach and will be making that code available when it's done - so this is really
    > only a minor setback. I expect to have something ready and posted in the summer
    > time. When I have it ready for beta I'll announce it here.

    I really do appreciate your hard work and your good intentions,
    please be careful that your new project is not going to end up just the
    same as the current one (eg. copyright is granted automatically to your
    employer who can then decide at will what they do with it -including
    restraining it, licensing it or killing it against your will).

    For someone in a position like yourself within NFR it should (but of
    course I'm talking in thin air here) be entirely possible to get a
    specific exception clause in your contract allowing you to do free
    software development, with your name as copyright holder.  I know I
    do have such a clause :-)

    (PS: Think for a minute - just what the hell *IS* Intellectual Property -
    another lawyerese excess ?  Ideas cannot be patented you know ...
    Implementations OTOH are covered with copyright, no need for IP and other
    expensive terminology)

    Cheers,
    Tycho

    --
    Tycho Fruru			tycho.fruruat_private
    "Prediction is extremely difficult. Especially about the future."