Re: [logs] Re: Generic Log Message Parsing Tool

From: Sweth Chandramouli (loganalysisat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 12:06:19 PDT

    On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 04:00:30PM -0400, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
    > This is pretty cool!!! I think its a bit low-level for log
    > parsing but that may just be off the cuff without sufficient
    > thought.
    	Down to the character level is probably too granular for
    log messages; I was just throwing that out as an example of the sort
    of grammar I'm discussing.

    > Left recursion was what scared me. I'm not sure you need it to do
    > left-to-right log parsing. Do you? If left recursion is omitted you
    > can play the trick I talked about in my first posting, where you make
    > the evaluator build a prefix tree.
    	I don't think we should run into LR issues; if we do, there
    are some fairly trivial ways to rewrite a context-free grammar (the type
    we're discussing) to eliminate simple instances of left-recursion, and
    some other algorithms to eliminate all instances of it.  (I think the
    Dragon book discusses this, and some guy at Microsoft recently wrote a
    document that summarizes the issue quite nicely and proposes some cool
    tricks to make the process of eliminating LR easier.)

    	-- Sweth.

    --
    Sweth Chandramouli      Idiopathic Systems Consulting
    svcat_private      http://www.idiopathic.net/