Re: [logs] strange udp packets

From: John Swope (johnsat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 08:37:10 PDT

    Brett,

    I know this answer is really late, I haven't been keeping up with my list
    email...

    I just got through reading a bunch of stuff regarding cable modems and
    DOCSIS the other night. Below is a link to the DOCSIS SNMP MIB.

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2669.html

    But it seems that DOCSIS compliant cable modems are manageable via SNMP and
    they download their operational configuration from your cable provider's
    TFTP server.  So the .bin file you are capturing is very likely to be the
    config file of a cable modem.

    Also, here is a link to a discussion regarding cable modems and trying to
    "uncap" the upload/download speeds.  But buried in the 'Hey lets screw the
    cable company' talk there is a few bits of insight into the operation of
    cable modems.

    http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache:Yh9XYv0ko68C:www.cable-modems.org/Q%26A/index.php%3Fone_question%3D61+-wireless+linksys+default+snmp+community+name&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF8

    HTH,
    John