RE: [logs] Security Monitoring software customization limit?

From: Kohlenberg, Toby (toby.kohlenbergat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 15:31:22 PDT

    The products I'd (personally) suggest you look at are:
    ArcSight, Intellitactics & CyberWolf.

    They each are very extensible, have decent frontends (some
    better than others) and all have strong correlation engines
    under them. BEWARE: vendors in this space throw the word
    "correlation" around all the time when what they mean is
    "consolidation".

    Also, take into account whether the console will be able to
    properly handle not just parsing data from different products
    but actually understanding when two events are the same but
    named differently. E.g. is the console simply parsing/normalizing
    the data or is it catagorizing it or is it actually translating
    it into a standard format?

    CyberWolf does the most translation of any product I've seen. A
    larger group of products does catagorization (Which may be
    easier to extend than the translation engines), some of the older
    products in the market do parsing/normalization which really doesn't
    give you much (in my humble opinion)

    www.itactics.com
    www.arcsight.com
    www.cyberwolftech.com

    All opinions are my own and in no way reflect the views of my employers

    Toby

    Toby Kohlenberg, CISSP, GCIH, GCIA
    Senior Information Security Analyst
    Applied Security Technology Team
    Intel Corporate Information Security
    503-712-8588  Office & Voicemail
    877-497-1696  Pager
    "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you."

    PGP Fingerprint:
    92E2 E2FC BB8B 98CD 88FA  01A1 6E09 B5BA 9E84 9E70