Re: [logs] Logging: World Domination

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 09:06:30 PDT

    Darren Reed wrote:
    >The point of XML (here) isn't nesting, as such, but creating data
    >that can be 'self describing' as well as being part of a bandwagon
    >that a lot of people are already on...

    _English_ is self-describing, too!! ;)  We just call it a "glossary"
    instead of a DTD. ;)

    I guess my point was that you can do it in Navajo, as long as
    you use an underlying set of agreed-upon terms that are regularly
    delineated in some manner that is easy to parse. Right now, logs
    use free-form text. Anything predictable and regular is better than
    that because once it's in a standard format with a limited glossary.
    The formatting is the easy part - XML, comma-delimited files,
    attribute=value\n, whatever - but it all has to use a superset of
    a limited glossary.

    I no longer have my copy of the glossary Paul and I came up with
    (because of a massive computer problem I suffered in the spring)
    but I've asked Paul to dig it up off his server and if he can
    find it, I'll post it.

    Syntax is easy.
    Glossaries are easy.
    Getting everyone to rewrite all their apps to log using the new
            glossary: priceless.

    mjr.
    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum				http://www.ranum.com
    Computer and Communications Security	mjrat_private