Re: [logs] perl question relating to log analysis

From: James F.Hranicky (jfhat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 09:52:29 PDT

    On 26 Aug 2002 17:18:42 +1200
    Russell Fulton <r.fultonat_private> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > 	I have recently reimplemented much of the functionality of Psionic's
    > Logcheck in a perl script.  I have also added functionality to make it
    > more useful in a central log server enviroment (you can specify specific
    > checks for different hosts and have reports for different hosts mailed
    > to different admins).
    >
    > We are now testing it in a production enviroment, when we are happy with
    > it and I have written some documentation (what's that ?? ;-) I will post
    > the script to the list for others to have a play with.

    Hey, I did this about 4 years ago:

    	http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~jfh/jst/logstats-0.7.tar.gz

    Same trick from the perl cookbook

    	sub foo {
    		ret (something) if /pat/o;
    	}

    My script can return a summary, a count, list of submatches from, or the
    complete line matching a regexp from a list of regexps.

    | Jim Hranicky, Senior SysAdmin                   UF/CISE Department |
    | E314D CSE Building                            Phone (352) 392-1499 |
    | jfhat_private                      http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~jfh |