Re: [logs] Please be aware of syslog-sec IETF group...

From: Tom Perrine (tepat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 14:02:11 PDT

        >> However, and this is the only reason I'm reluctant to discuss it, is
        >> that *at the moment* it carries the standard UC copyright, i.e. free
        >> for non-commercial and education, not free for commercial use.
        >>
        >> Just out of curiousity, is this non-GPL-ness a show stopper for lots
        >> of people?

        WJG(S> I am curious - where did you see this Tom? BEEP a protocol on the IETF
        WJG(S> standards track, as is syslog-reliable, and as such I believe is open
        WJG(S> to implementation by anyone. The BEEP implementation at beepcore.org
        WJG(S> has a license <http://www.beepcore.org/beepcore/about_publiclicense.jsp>
        WJG(S> which seems pretty much OSS compatible, and seems like it would be
        WJG(S> even more commercial friendly than GPL.

    What we are doing does implement syslog-reliable.  Yes, the protocol
    is open to implementation by anyone.  (Note: good luck using the
    beepcore libs.  Memory leaks and other problems...)

    However, at this time, *our* code is not Open Source.  It may become
    OS, I hope.  But there is much more to syslog-reliable than BEEP.

    Just as one example, consider that with syslog-reliable you may have
    thousands of long-lived (weeks, years?) TCP connections to a single
    log host.

    --tep