Re: [logs] a small reminder

From: Tom Perrine (tepat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 14:34:23 PDT

        TB> whilst i'm enjoying the conversation about log formats and transport
        TB> mechanisms, i feel obliged to point out that when i kicked off discussion
        TB> #1 on the path to world domination, i was trying to build a list of events
        TB> we'd like to see logged.

    OK, so we break it down into:

    * events to be logged (what is currently logged?  What are we
      missing?)

        - authentication (failures and successes)
        - network connections (be able to log all, a'la tcp_wrappers)
        - HW failures
        - SW failures
        - object accesses (?)

        Note: there is a *lot* of work in this field that is pretty old,
        and at least asked all the right questions, even if today's
        specific answers might be different.  See _A Guide to
        Understanding Audit in Trusted Systems_ (Tan Book)
        (part of the rainbow series)

        A better way might be to define about a dozen buckets and start
        putting messages from our own logs into them, whereever they fit.
        If we find a message that doesn't fit into an already-defined
        bucket, create a new bucket.  This will tell us the kinds of
        things we are already getting.  Its the start of a taxonomy, if
        nothing else.

    * format of event notifications	(check IDMEF, Apache "common log format)
      (looks like some kind of XML.  Is there overlap with IDMEF?)

    * transport of events (syslog-reliable++ is probably the answer)

    So it looks like at least 2 of these three areas have standards-track
    solutions.  Yup, we;re back to Tina's original question:  *what*
    events do we care about?

        TB> as seems to be standard when we talk about logging, we have gone haring
        TB> off after how to transport the data and how to parse the data and we've
        TB> lost track of what bloody data we're after.  arguments about "could it be
        TB> standardized" notwithstanding, sniff, sniff, surely >>someone<< out there
        TB> has opinions about other things they'd like to see?

    If we define the events, then at least new SW might follow the
    definition instead of going off and inventing yalm (yet another log
    message).

    --tep