[logs] Re: Logging: World Domination

From: Bennett Todd (betat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 08:59:08 PDT

    (sorry about the late followup, just back from vacation)

    2002-08-23-13:44:50 wolfgangat_private:
    > Forget about XML for the moment, that's a secondary issue.
    > The first choice to be made is between a "tagged" format and
    > a "defined" format.

    A superb point, I agree entirely.

    > The main difference, as I see it:
    > - With "defined" format logs the developer of a "foo" application has
    >   to find out that his application belongs to the "bar" group and
    >   therefor logs the timestamp as the 3rd token in a white-space separated
    >   list. Your log parser has to know the log syntax of the "bar" group as
    >   well to make any sense of the logs.

    Actually, I think everyone advocating a defined format favours a set
    of fixed fields common to all log records, always in the same place
    (at the front of the record); these would include the timestamp.
    Also the originating host. But if you replace "timestamp" with some
    category-specific field your point remains valid.

    > - With a "tagged" format, the developer of a "foo" application has to
    >   know which tag to use for a timestamp. The log parser doesn't have
    >   to know anything about "foo" or the "bar" group of applications.

    Yes and no; if using a tagged format the developer has independant
    freedom to specify their own tags or values or whatever, the log
    parser does need to know about each developer's choices; and if they
    don't have that freedom, then I think the advantage of a tagged
    format disappears, no? Whoops, I maybe think I've noticed the point
    here; I retract the above, a pure _parser_ wouldn't need to know the
    tags --- but an analyzer would. But then too, a pure _parser_ for a
    defined format wouldn't need to know anything special about the
    individual categories, it just wouldn't be able to do anything
    intelligent with them unless it did --- just like with the tagged
    format.

    > So IMHO the "defined" format is all fine and well if you want to build
    > a logging infrastructure yourself for your own environment. But if we
    > try to define something that can be shared by people that don't know
    > anything about each others environment, then a "tagged" format is the
    > only workable solution.

    If on the third hand we want to create a specification to allow
    us to build a collection of platform-independant log analysis
    expertise, in the form of portable code, then we really must be
    specifying the stuff that we want to be able to portably analyze;
    flexibility here allowing individual developers to hack off in their
    own directions defeats that purpose, no?

    -Bennett