RE: [logs] Re: Logging: World Domination

From: Sanborn, John (john.sanbornat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 16:14:03 PDT

    Just some thoughts from a non-programming syadmin ...

    Could some kind of tag be used that specifies which defined log format is
    being used?  Then there is no question of the formatting.  And maybe a
    separate tag that indicates that this single field is an exception to the
    specified format, possibly including the field or 'tag' name.

    Only if there is no formatting tag, would you need to worry about trying to
    analyze the data.

    Of course, then the big debate becomes, how to define the formats, but that
    should only be a 'minor' argument.

    John