Re: [logs] Secure Central Log Host

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Sat Oct 26 2002 - 10:04:31 PDT

    Rainer Gerhards wrote:
    >Obviously, my central log
    >server will be a hardened machine placed in a secure part of my network.
    >So I feel bad about placing the database engine on that same machine -
    >after all, the DB might be queried by security admins to work with it.
    >So I would need to open up a number of ports that I do not really like
    >to open....

    That's what VPNs are for, really. Why not use a couple of
    machines running IPSEC and have them centralize things
    that way?

    >Ok, next approach: the collector forwards events to the repository via
    >syslog protocol.

    Syslog protocol is unreliable and, unless you use a version
    that has been made decent, will lose messages if the recipient
    is down. I don't recommend using syslog unless you can possibly
    help it.

    >  Collector
    >  - stores incoming events in flat files inside file system --> written
    >to CD on a schedule
    >  - forwards via syslog to the repository machine

    How about:
    collector
            - stores syslog events to log file and rotates them/archives
            them on schedule
            - applies "stop list" (list of records that are known to be
            OK to discard to log file and generates a temporary view
            file
    repository machine:
            - scp (or FTP's over VPN or whatever) copies temporary view
            files from collector and deletes them when successful
            repository machine

    I've left the whole "...and stick it in a database" part out
    because that's a HARD problem to tackle right and I think that
    will be the bulk of your pain. Hint: before you think about
    putting it into a database, ask yourself "what queries will I
    want to make?" and see if it's even possible to make a data
    model that will allow them...

    mjr.
    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum				http://www.ranum.com
    Computer and Communications Security	mjrat_private