Re: [logs] Log archival

From: Devin Kowatch (devinkat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 11:36:39 PST

    On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 11:26:15AM -0500, Blaise St-Laurent wrote:
    > I'm in the process of setting up a centralized log server here, and i was
    > wondering, from a potential forensics point of view, what are the
    > requirements for archiving logs such that they are maximally useful down the
    > road.
    >
    > My current thoughts are :
    > 	* they should be archived to tamper proof (write once) media, such as CD-
    > or DVD-R.
    > 	* they should have as a minimum a hash applied and stored with them (how to
    > implement is the question)
    [ ... ]

    Here are a couple of papers you might find interesting:
    "Forward Integrity For Secure Audit Logs"
        ftp://www.cs.ucsd.edu/pub/bsy/pub/fi.ps

    "Cryptographic Support for Secure Logs on Untrusted Machines"
        http://www.counterpane.com/secure-logs.pdf

    Note that the last one is patented.

    --
    Devin Kowatch