RE: [logs] why log transport is still important

From: Christopher Lonvick (clonvickat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 12:39:03 PST

    Hi,

    <some deleted for brevity>

    On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Rainer Gerhards wrote:

    > Any thoughts? Chris: an unofficial opionon on the potential of a simple
    > TCP based syslog protocol? I am specifically asking because I remember
    > the last time someone attempted to suggest the on the WG list - the
    > on the WG list soon - haven't had so much bad feedback these days, looks
    > like it is getting time for some ;)

    I'd like to have a discussion on the WG mailing list about this.  Since we
    now have an implementation of 3195, I'd like to hear how it is, or isn't,
    delivering what is wanted/needed.  If it's not, then we need to be clear
    about what features are needed and why they're not attainable through
    3195.  Similarly, what features are within 3195 that may not be needed for
    syslog delivery.

    Thanks,
    Chris