RE: [logs] Tamper Proof Logging

From: Blaise St-Laurent (bstlaurentat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 09:54:50 PST

    Actually, it's not insane or impractical, it's just fairly limited in scope.

    I've seen this implemented using CD-R's in at least one case, and it seemed
    to work fairly well. The administrative issue that you've brought up
    (swapping CDs etc.) is a big factor.

    The other factor of course, is that you can't really write DIRECTLY to a
    CD-R. Multisession cd-rs with more then a couple of sessions tend to make
    life difficult, and you end up with a pile of tiny files. What's more, you
    usually need to layout the filesystem in such a way that you can burn the
    files as you go, e.g. a continual burning process. Since you can't easily
    stream to the drive, (burn-proof is good, but not that good) you need to
    temporarily write it out to the disk, and then sporadically write it to the
    CD-R.

    I'm actually putting in place something similar to this right now, using a
    DVD-R as secure archival media. Burning multiple sessions once a day is the
    way i'm getting around it. If the log server is compromised, all bets are
    off, but that's always been the case anyway.