RE: [logs] Philosophical perspective on auditing

From: Eric Fitzgerald (ericfat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 19:01:17 PST

    I've found it useful to describe in this fashion, especially when
    interacting with people who aren't familiar with auditing.

    I perceive three distinct uses for auditing:

    1) Accounting - maintaining a log of legitimate activity for
    administrative purposes
    2) Intrusion Detection - recording activity that *might* be
    illegitimate.  Depending on the activity this might be easy or
    difficult.  Different systems might alert in real time or post facto via
    log analysis.
    3) Forensics - recording enough information that even if illegitimate
    activity wasn't directly detected, that when evidence of illegitimate
    activity is discovered via some other mechanism, that the logs can
    provide enough information track down the wrongdoer, restore the system
    to a trustworthy state, and/or prevent the same attack from occurring
    again.

    Notice that all of these can apply to a system, regardless of whether it
    is "locked down" or not.  The amount and type of auditing can vary
    widely from system to system.

    Without trying to start any debates, I perceive that "auditing" differs
    from "logging" primarily in its degree of trustworthiness- audit
    consists of logs generated by trusted code in the system; all other log
    data is just that- log data.  From an evaluation perspective (TCSEC &
    CC), audit has specific requirements regarding the integrity of the data
    all along the code path from event generation to persisting the data on
    disk.

    Eric Fitzgerald
    Microsoft Corporation