Re: [logs] Philosophical perspective on auditing

From: Joe Wulf (joe_wulfat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 10:17:16 PST

    Brian,

    I like the points you made and your examples to back them up regarding the
    philosophy of auditing.  I am interested in further discussion on this train of
    thought, as I believe there is a wealth of informed, experience people with
    strong beliefs on the how's and why's of auditing.

    I offer for consideration that another purpose of auditing is to detect
    occurances of conditions that are both acceptable and unacceptable.

    Syslog, as well as other auditing/logging tools are "configured" to perform (or
    not perform) certain actions, as well as generate log records based upon the
    nature of the event.  If the system(s) in question are locked down/secured to
    protect the operating system, applications and data within them, then some level
    of system (and/or application) auditing will (should?) be enabled as well.  And
    its purpose is to (generally) record successful/approved accesses as well as
    disapproved accesses and failed attempts.

    Manual/human analysis of audit records from such a system will indicate if "bad"
    things are happening.  To some extent I believe this analysis can be automated.

    Respectfully,
    -Joe Wulf