Re: [logs] Syslog payload format

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 16:57:52 PST

    In some mail from Marcus J. Ranum, sie said:
    [...]
    > so how about an event logging API that vaguely resembles
    > something like:

    The biggest problem any change is going to have is dealing with
    convincing programmers that the extra effort is worthwhile.

    Right now, I can do:

    syslog(LOG_DAEMON|LOG_DEBUG, "debug: marcus login from %s", where);

    How many lines of code is your library going to take and what
    benefit do they give me in this situation ?

    > This is easy. We're looking at, what, a couple hours of coding?
    > Toss in some options that let you do useful things like tell the
    > subsystem to generate unique event-IDs automatically, etc, etc.,
    > and you're in good shape.

    Now that I think about it, I think a requirement must be that it
    provides a syslog(3) interface for old applications.  Have the
    default behaviour use a very meagre output but make it clear
    that more complex things can be done.

    Darren