Re: [logs] Syslog payload format

From: Balazs Scheidler (bazsiat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 01:58:27 PST

    On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 08:48:12PM +1100, Darren Reed wrote:
    > In some mail from Balazs Scheidler, sie said:
    > The problem you have there is you're not telling xnewsyslog() about
    > what type of data is being passed so of course you have this problem.
    > You're assuming that "IPADDR" or "PEERFD" is a complete description
    > of the data - well, in this case it is, I suppose as it appears to
    > be a "char []" data object.
    >
    > By passing the value and what type of value it is, the log function
    > is able to work out how to use it in the best way for it.  All we
    > want application people to do is pass data to the log function and
    > describe what sort of data it is.  We currently are dealing with a
    > problem created by letting programmers format log data themselves,
    > rather than describe it.
    >
    > The problem with the above is you're converting everything into a string
    > at the library interface and that may not be desirable further on.

    I deliberately converted everything to strings. I don't think the logging
    infrastructure should support types or typed values.

    Although this was my intention I've also read similar things on Marcus's
    load data map site.

    What do others think about whether typing of tags should be done or not?

    --
    Bazsi