RE: [logs] Syslog over TCP (Was: Re: Syslog payload format)

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhardsat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 11:45:45 PST

    > Some devices require logging to function.  When using tcp and
    > a problem develops on the syslog server the device sending
    > syslogs will stop functioning, Cisco PIX firewall is one such
    > device.

    Well, I personally think this is not a bad thing as long as the admin
    can turn that feature on or off. If I have a sensitve network protected
    by a firewall, there might be good reasons to shut the network down when
    no logging is possible. That's an advantage of TCP. With UDP you have no
    option in this regard...

    Rainer