Re: [logs] RE: syslog/tcp (selp)

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 07:30:27 PST

    In some mail from Andrew Ross, sie said:

    > The more I think about it, the idea of binary data and non ASCII chr
    > sets should be left for the BEEP or syslog reliable implementations. The
    > SELP protocol should be a very simple change and not allow for non ASCII
    > chrs or binary. Therefore we can just stick with a delimiter and not
    > worry about a length chunk. It also means I don't have to code for non
    > ASCII chr sets just yet :-)

    Ok.  But do you realise the full impact of what you're saying here ?

    Envisage head office in the USA, branch office in non-native English
    speaking country, installs app that generates messages using wide (16
    bit) characters and they get forwarded to your daemon...

    As they say with environment stuff:

    "Think global, act local."

    Darren