RE: [logs] TCPwrappers logging without serving

From: Wilmot, Fred (fred.wilmotat_private)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 11:12:28 PDT

    Great comments.  Thank you for the input on various packages available
    to support a poor man's intrusion detection tool.  Unfortunately, I have
    a design task to figure out how to use TCP Wrappers to do such a thing,
    or find some other process without installing new packages or processes.
    Wietse doesn't find any problem with wrapping all services and leaving
    them running since tcpd doesn't actually pass any information until the
    handshake is complete.  Also, wrappers was designed to deny all access
    via host.deny (or .allow if you choose) to all services listed.  In the
    same place, logging or alerting can be enabled to pass that information
    to a syslog device before calling the daemon.  one way to do this, is to
    do all your blocked daemon logging in your allow and do all your deny in
    your host.deny file.  This should support configuration changes to
    environments that cannot add functionality but can manipulate
    configurations.  This may not be a scalable solution due to the concern
    of incorrect configurations in more than 500 host files, but can be
    audited. Has anyone used the listen command to gather any connection
    attempts information? Again, thanks for your comments.

    Regards,
    Fred Wilmot
    MMS Security Engineer